Gregory D. Lopez, M.D.
Spine, Back and Neck
Dr. Gregory Lopez specializes in minimally invasive treatment of complex degenerative disorders of the spine, as well as pediatric and adult deformity. Dr. Lopez graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a bachelor's degree in arts, anthropology and pre-professional studies. He went on to receive his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Medicine. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at University of California Irvine, where he created low cost surgical simulators for orthopedic surgery training. He then completed a spine surgery fellowship at Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush.
As an accomplished athlete; a former Toronto Blue Jays minor league baseball player and collegiate shortstop and team captain for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Dr. Lopez understands the rigorous regimen athletes endure and the orthopedic injuries an athlete may encounter.
He has received many honors and awards including the AAOS Scientific Exhibit Award of Excellence. He has researched spine surgery topics.
Dr. Lopez is married with four children.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Mayo BC, Massel DH, Bohl DD, Long WW, Modi KD, Narain AS, Hijji FY, Lopez G, Singh K.
Preoperative Mental Health is not Predictive of Patient-reported Outcomes Following a Minimally Invasive Lumbar Discectomy. Clin Spine Surg. 2016 Nov 21. PMID: 27875412
- Lopez G, Martin DF, Wright R, Jung J, Hahn P, Jain N, Bracey DN, Gupta R. Construct Validity for a Cost-effective Arthroscopic Surgery Simulator for Resident Education. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2016 Dec;24(12):886-894. PMID:27832043
- Bhatia NN, Lopez G, Geck M, Gottlieb J, Eismont F. Posterior cervical laminoplasty in the North American Population: A minimum of two year follow-up. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015 Nov;138:165-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2015.07.014. Epub 2015 Aug 28.PMID: 26342438
- Lopez G, Wright R, Martin D, Jung J, Bracey D, Gupta R. A cost-effective junior resident training and assessment simulator for orthopaedic surgical skills via fundamentals of orthopaedic surgery: AAOS exhibit selection.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 Apr 15;97(8):659-66. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.N.01269.PMID: 25878310
AWARDS & HONORS
- First author in a November 2016 article in the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (JAAOS). The article, titled, "Construct Validity for a Cost-effective Arthroscopic Surgery Simulator for Resident Education," centers around research focused on evaluating educational methods needed to best teach resident physicians how to perform arthroscopic surgery.
- Fundamentals of Orthopaedic Surgery (FORS)Creator and Co-inventor with Dr. Ranjan Gupta, MD. This is a cost effective basic psycho-motor skills trainer and assessment tool simulating fracture reduction, drill control exercises, and wound closure.
- Low Cost Arthroscopic Surgical Skills Trainer Creator and Co-inventor with Dr. Ranjan Gupta, MD. This is a cost effective basic psychomotor skills trainer and assessment tool for arthroscopy.
- Spine Surgery
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
- Medical School
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Medicine, San Antonio, TX
University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA - Orthopedic Surgery
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL - Spine Surgery
- Board Certification
IN THE NEWS
HOSPITAL / SURGICAL LOCATIONS
Central DuPage Hospital
25 N. Winfield Road
Winfield, IL 60190
Rush Oak Park Hospital
520 S. Maple Avenue
Oak Park, IL 60304
Elmhurst Memorial Hospital
155 E. Brush Hill Road
Elmhurst, IL 60126
PHYSICIAN OFFICE LOCATIONS
Rush Oak Park Hospital - Medical Office Building
610 South Maple Avenue, Suite 1550
Oak Park, Illinois 60304
Central DuPage Hospital - Outpatient Services
Outpatient Services Building
25 North Winfield Road
Winfield, Illinois 60190